Saturday, June 28, 2008

Stony Marathon and Pre-Ride with my Aunt

Yesterday, My aunt wanted to go for a ride up the Polly-Ann Trail. I told her that it was a nice ride and was 11 miles long. She decided we should ride from her house which is 3 miles from the trailhead. When we got there, I was corrected because it was actually 12 miles, not 11 to Leonard. We were slow and steady and only had to stop once to take a break, but when we got to Leonard, I said we needed to go another mile to the end of the trail in Oakland county. We rode to the Oakland/Lapeer county border just to say we did it and headed back. Obviously it was harder on the way back, especially since the limestone was drying out and was turning into a very sandy trail. We stopped twice on the way back and added in the small nature trail just north of Drahner. We ended up with 32.5 miles which is the farthest she'd ever ridden... YEAH!

Today was the Stony Creek Marathon consisting of 40 miles of mud. I rode hard and strong the whole time and was pretty well spent by the end of the 4th lap. I kept saying to myself "If I could just catch the next guy." It seemed to work because the last two laps I wasn't passed by anyone. That's probably because most people were in front of me. It was quite muddy and I was having issues shifting during every lap. Lap 3 was the worst when something got stuck in my derailleur just as I was passing my aunt and uncle (thanks for coming). I pulled it out and did better but was still slow due to mud. I finished in 5th place out of 9 with a time of 3 hours and 21 minutes. Of course Josh Radi won again ahead of my by 10 minutes. Derek was just behind my by 30 or so seconds. I'm glad that I placed at this race especially since I didn't place due to a small group but actually beat 4 people. Miles to date: 1033!!! Finally over 1K.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did an exellent job especially sinced the conditions sucked. It was not only muddy but very hot and humid. At this race we saw the most DNF every since we have started coming to watch races. It is a GREAT thing you have such an awsome aunt and uncle to come and watch you race in the woods. I think your finish has to do with the pre-ride that you did with your aunt. It must be nice to have someone to push you.

Anonymous said...

Robert,

I saw you were looking for me. This is Josh Radi. I didn't know how else to contact you. My phone number is 269-788-5551. My email is bigrodney602@yahoo.com. Give me a buzz or email.

Josh