Sunday, April 13, 2008

Pontiac Lake Time Trial 3rd Place

Just got up from my recovery nap. This morning was the first tailwind race of the year. It was at Pontiac Lake. When we woke up, it was snowing and raining, and there was a dusting of snow on the ground and it was cold... somewhere around 30. I went online to see if it might have been canceled, laughed about about people saying they would picket and waited for my brother to show up at our house. He wasn't sure if he wanted to race or not due to the weather. We stopped and had MacDonald's for breakfast. I know... MacDonald's is not a good breakfast for race day... but it was the only thing to eat... we had no food in the house. I registered and then hit the portapotty, and again, and again before the race started. I've been fighting a stomach bug this last week. I started at 11:40:30 and at the starting line, my brother told me he was gonna race. I started off strong, and by the first small climb, I knew my legs weren't ready for the course. They felt tight. Some younger kid was at the starting line and we stayed head to head till mile 4 or so. Dale passed me just after the road crossing and I knew I was falling behind because he started 1 minute behind me. I continued to stay a few hundred feet back but was chasing him pretty hard. I was having pretty bad chest pains just before the road crossing and again after the model airplane field. I didn't fall once, or have any problems. Only disappointment was that I had to run up the steep climb after the snaky-downhill. I completed the course in 1:01 which was slower than last year, except last year wasn't muddy. I came in 3rd. Not bad I guess considering I didn't expect to win any awards in sport class. My brother started around 12:40 and it took him 1:32. We went to see him on the last hill and video-taped him. Even though he came in last, it was awesome that he decided to race, and his time is pretty good considering he doesn't train nearly as much as I do. Thanks to the family and the wife for coming out to support us. Miles to date: 341. Yankee Springs next week.

No comments: